Monday, November 11, 2019

Lens Stories ~ Nikon Nikkor-O f/2 pre-Ai

In a fit of downsizing the Lens Closet I sold a very good condition Nikon Nikkor 35mm f/2 Ai. 

There was just "something" on the edge of perception that made images special when I used this lens.  As always, for me regret is a powerful motivator.  Even though I am rich in 28mm and 50mm lenses, I just had to have another copy of the 35mm f/2.


Nikon Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 ~ Lens Stories

I've been thinking about this for over two years.  I've been trolling "that auction site" to see what might turn up.  I've been hoping that I could mend the errors of my ways.

Then, one day not too long ago, I came across a beautiful-looking early single-coated pre-Ai Nikkor-O version of the lens.  It had a case and, well, it looked rather un-used.

With patience that comes with age I bid late in the auction and, surprise!, won.

The package the lens arrived in had been sliced by a sharp blade along one seam.  While unopened, I wondered who did that and why?  The story I got from the point relais where I picked the lens up from was completely bogus.  Something was up.  So I opened the package right there in front of the man, just to make sure everything was OK.  It was, so I took my new acquisition and left.

From my first example of the lens I knew that Nikkor-O would be sharp.  There is a bit of field curvature, but along that line of that curvature images are sharp all the way to the edge of the frame.

Once back to home and hearth I took a quick look at the lens' out of focus rendition.  It looks and "feels" similarly to the Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AiS and the 24mm f/2.8 Ai.  Which is to say, behind the point of focus the Nikkor-O is gently under-corrected for spherical aberration.

The all up cost, including delivery?  It came in under my self-imposed limit of 50Euro with more than a few Euro left over. 

When will I ever learn my lesson about selling lenses that I like?  For the moment balance in life has been re-achieved. 


Nikon Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 ~ Lens Stories

[NOTE: The photos in this album and this album, too, were shot using the Nikon Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 pre-Ai]

No comments: