Saturday, October 05, 2024

Digital Zone System (Part Six) ~ Resources and Inspiration

I'm concerned that I've missed something or that I've misunderstood things.  Are there errors in my own thinking and methods?  No doubt.  If readers would like to help me better understand, I'm all ears.

Resources ~

Other than a ton of YouTube videos that erroneously describe how to meter for the Zone System in digital, there are few resources on the internets (again, thank ewe George Bush the Younger). 

Alan Ross Photography:  Can the Zone System Go Digital?

Photography Cheat Sheet: Using the Zone System for Ideal Exposures

Zone VI workshop - the fine print by Fred Picker - One of the most important Zone System references from the film era 

Zone System Manual by Minor White - This is the reference I used.  There's an "eye match" method for setting up the Zone System with film that I found to be very useful. Unfortunately the link to this is just a sample, so if you're interested you'll have to find a used book somewhere.

Another look at the Zone System (film and early digital)

I started a conversation on Pixls.us on the topic.

On Zone System evolution - Zone 9 was pure white early on, and later was changed to Zone 10?  I never knew this and am left wondering why the change?

What I've decribed as a Digital Zone System is not without its dissenters. There is a well-known commenter on camera gear who said -

"For me, it means forget the Zone System when you’re using digital cameras, except as a way to describe tones. Compared to the tools available on modern cameras, it’s crude and in accurate..."

Take from it what you will.

Inspiration ~

When I recently restarted work on a Digital Zone System my earlier life came flooding back.  

I was heavily influenced by Ansel Adams and Minor White for what they had to say about the technical aspects of the film-based Zone System.  I used a Pentax 1degree Spotmeter and calibrated my films and processing to the best of my abilities.  I read through Fred Pickers book on the Zone System, too.  Every photography exhibition I could find in the LA Basin saw my shadow on its doorstep.  Looking at what was possible in expressing a final image impressed me greatly. 

Here are just a few photographers who's works can inspire me, even today.

 

Cité de l'Automobile - Musée National de l’Automobile, Collection Schlumpf, Mulhouse, France

Bugatti Royale
Sony A6300, Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN
-1EV as Zone 5
Pt/Pd tints added in processing

No comments: