Tuesday, December 10, 2019

What to pack and other First World problems...

... so... we're packing our things in preparation for leaving Paris for the winter.  I never thought I'd see the day when I, too, could be considered a Snow Bird by flying (as it were) south for the winter.  But there's the truth of things.

A couple friends asked which cameras I would be taking.  My answer was this -

I ran a test of my lenses to see how much I "gained" in terms of IQ by going with the old Nikkors. 

Alas, It's really difficult to tell much difference. I know where to look so I know the old lenses out-perform the new stuff. But it's not really significant.

Particularly this beautiful 50mm f/1.8 SEL (APS-C only) Sony that I have. It turns out, she's a 'beaut. 

Just one 20mm Nikkor UD f/3.5 out-weighs an A5000 + two AF plastic lenses. Weight. 

And I'm getting old. So... the AF lenses are what I'm taking. The Nikkors I'll continue to use, as you say, around town and close to home.

Sony NEX-7 "walking around" kit

I wrote too soon and promised things that will never ever come to pass.

A little thought came when I looked more closely at the Out Of Focus Rendition of the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN E I was considering taking.  Frankly, the OOFR is scary bad when compared against a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Ai.  Looking at some of my recent work with the lens convinces me of the Micro-Nikkor's brilliance in separating a subject beautifully from the background.

At which point I felt the Sony A5000 with the Sony 16mm f/2.8 SEL, the Sony A6000 with the gorgeous Sony 50mm f/1.8 SEL OSS, and the Sony NEX-7 with a Lens Turbo II focal reducer and the Micro-Nikkor 55mm would do the trick.

Slippery Slope Alert: 
Since the Lens Turbo II is now part of the "kit", why not, I asked myself, carry not only the NEX-7 with the aforementioned Micro-Nikkor and for just a bit more weight carry the lovely Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 that I recently picked up for a song along with it?  That way I could carry one workhorse camera along with a slightly wide and slightly long lens.  Maybe I could leave the Sony A6000 at home?

Er.  Right.

The NEX-7 is new to me and I'm not sure I'd put full faith and trust in it.  Particularly since we'll be gone for three months.  Anything could happen, right?  Ah, heck!  The A6000 is small and light, so just put a body cap on it and take is as a backup camera.  Just in case, and all that.

You see where this is headed, right?  Yes.  I was sure you would.  But.  It gets worse.

Quickly reviewing the list of places we want to visit I see several art communities, small villages, a couple car and motorcycle events, and, of course, Monaco.  Indeed, the NEX-7 could do well in these situations.  The Micro-Nikkor could practically live on the camera.  Or maybe the Nikkor-O could do most of the imaging duties.  No worries.  I'd have both with me.  All is good... um... hold on...

We want to visit Menton during the Orange Festival (which is at the very same time as the Carnival in Nice).  Part of the Menton partying includes an orchid show.  Hmmm... I've been wanting to shoot some flowers using... oh gawds... here we go... some more...

Now I'm at the point of taking the A5000 with the ultra-wide angle pancake lens.  It's super light and will be nice when I photograph cars from above.  I'll have the NEX-7 with the focal reducer and the two lenses, 35mm and 55mm.  The A6000 will be sitting there as a backup, so why not mount up a wonderful Nikkor-P pre-Ai 105mm f/2.5 and take the little Nikon 12mm extension tube, too?

There.   Everything is covered.  All imaginable situations (based on prior history of being on the Riviera during the winter) have been considered.  Alas, there are a few more days before we leave and maybe a new thought will come to mind?  I sure hope not.

That we all should have such problems, right?

Sony NEX-7 "walking around" kit

2 comments:

Alastair Arthur said...

Wow, we're going to England for 2 weeks and I'll probably just take a Ricoh GR. Those Sony's are such a nice size though. Have a great trip - sounds awesome.

Christopher Mark Perez said...

Thanks, Al.

That Ricoh looks like a great little image maker.

Have a great trip to England!!!