Monday, February 17, 2020

Steering wheels ~ examples of film-like grain in digital photography

I realize that sometimes it helps to see real world examples of some of the concepts and ideas I share here.

To illustrate how film-like grain can change the emotional response to how we view images I selected a series of classic car steering wheels.

As a first pass I had processed a few of them in color and liked the results.  But when I processed them in black and white, there was always "something" missing.  Now that I better understand film-like grain and it's "purpose" or "role" in how we see things I can see my earlier mistakes.

So I reprocessed my earlier images using first Rawtherapee to get the monochrome scale correct (green-yellow digital filter and curves modifications) and then through the Gimp (G'Mic-Degradations-Add Grain - Tri-X 1600 - Overlay blend mode).

So, without further ado, here is a series of classic car steering wheels from the 2016 traversee de Paris estivale.

 [Suggestion - click on an image to get to the Flickr page, then enlarge to 100percent to see the grain.  Back out the resolution and see how it "feels."  The effect will be subtle.]


la Traversee de Paris ~ 2018 (BW redo)

la Traversee de Paris ~ 2018 (BW redo)

la Traversee de Paris ~ 2018 (BW redo)

la Traversee de Paris ~ 2018 (BW redo)

No comments: