Sunday, January 22, 2023

Sony 35mm f/2.8 ZA compared to Nikon Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai ~ part Two

Still thinking about edge softness in old lens designs and the article Thom posted that asks the question of "Do lenses have character?" I thought I'd better have another look at my Nikon Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai. For completeness, as it were.  Just to verify I'd looked at as much I could before I let the pretty little lens find a new home.

In a prior post I looked at chromatic aberration software corrections and their limited effect on a Nikon Nikkor-O 35mm f/2 pre-Ai.  Since there wasn't much change after applying chromatic aberration corrections with the Nikkor-O I thought maybe the 24mm lens wouldn't clean up well either.


Nikon Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai

 

The Toy Drawer is getting ever lighter as lenses are being sold on.  What I've found for myself is that having too many lens options causes me to get wrapped around the axle a little more often than I'd like.  It's not very conducive to being productive at image creation.  I'm now wondering if I should keep any manual focus lenses "just in case."  These comparisons are helping me sort my feelings.


Setup ~ 

  • Camera - 
    • Sony A7 - ISO100, 2sec timer, +1EV, AWB, etc...
  • Lenses - 
    • Sony 35mm f/2.8 ZA
    • Nikon Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai
  • Bogen tripod
  • RawTherapee -
    • Snug up the curves
    • With and without Capture Sharpen
    • With and without chromatic aberration corrections (set to +0.004)

Comparison ~

As always, click on the image and enlarge to 100percent to see whatever there is to be seen.

Sony 35mm f/2.8 ZA, Nikon Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai comparison


Comments ~

With and without Capture Sharpening at anything wider than f/5.6 shows the 24mm's edges fail to clean up.  At f/5.6 on down, however, I can see that edge performance is looking nice and good, though it's still not up the Sony ZA 35mm's consistant across the field rendition.

Using RawTherapee's "Chromatic Aberrations" sliders, I moved them until the image at the edges looked "good" to my eyes.  It didn't take much, +0.004.  On close inspection the edges do, in fact, "look" better than the un-corrected versions.  It's subtle, but to me visible.

Adding "Capture Sharpen" to the chromatic aberration corrected images really makes the edges "pop".  These are quite usable, now.  What a contrast to my experience with the 35mm Nikkor-O!

Of course, wouldn't you know it?  After the previous comparison out of frustration I ordered a Sigma 24mm f/3.5 I.  The lens choice was made based on reviews seen across the "internets" for 24mm lenses with AF for the FE mount.  

NOTE on "internets": Thank ewe George B. Jr. for coining the word.  I'll never forget/forgive you for this.  

With this comparison I now wonder if I did the right thing?  OK.  OK.  Yes.  The whole Roto-Till Effort is to go all AF from now on.  Failing eyes and increased shaking hands.  Still, this Nikkor is pretty special for any lens of any age.  

The Sigma should be here shortly.  As soon as it arrives I'll put this Nikkor 24mm up against the Sigma.

No comments: