Saturday, December 01, 2018

Process ~ when it seems to work

Looking back over the past two years I see that a lot has changed in my understanding of the craft of photography.  I've looked as deeply as I could (without access to a full optical lab) at the subject of lenses, resolution, and what really happens when we talk about resolution and "sharpness".

I was prodded into action by a couple of articles on The Online Photographer's blog about how to make "good" black and white images from digital files.  The outcome of that was I rediscovered how much I enjoy making monochrome images.  As a bonus it seems to me that my current output has become "sharper" and "smoother" than my earlier 4x5inch and 8x10inch enlargements and contact prints.

Which leads me to a short story about the path I've taken in transitioning from large format film to APS-C digital.

Uffizi Gallery ~ Florence, Italy 2018

The thing that kicked me into digital was it's ease of access and immediacy.  I could see something, snap a photo of it, and review the results before I continued on my way.   The change certainly was not because digital was as sharp as large format film.  It wasn't.

When I started into digital I acquired a Canon 40D (later a 50D, a 7D, and a 5D MkII) and two lenses, a 24-105L and a 10-22mm EF-S.  I paid a lot for all this equipment so I was "all in" as they say.

Looking back I'm shocked at my early digital work.  In a small size the images are merely OK.  But comparing the original files against my current output I can't believe I hadn't chucked the whole plot into the ocean and returned to film.  The Canon sensors and lenses, while famed and widely lauded, are "soft".  The original files are nearly unusable.  I can't stand to "pixel peep" them.

Thinking I might shoot a bit of video I started picking up old Nikon Nikkor manual focus lenses.  They are widely available and can be had for little money.  I went with Nikon because Canon's old R/FL/FD mount lenses would not fit on Canon EOS without serious modification.

Uffizi Gallery ~ Florence, Italy 2018

With the Nikkor lenses all I needed was a simple adapter.  But manually focusing, even with AF confirmation chips in the adapters, was a hit and miss operation.  For this one reason I never could see how much sharper than Canon zooms a good fixed focal length lens really is.

One of the first things I did after buying a Sony A6000 was to mount one of my Nikkors on the camera and see how sharp the system was.  I was shocked by what I saw.  The APS-C sensored images were demonstrably sharper than anything I ever saw out of the Canon system.

Knowing what resolution was possible and wanting a bit of auto focus, I purchased a trio of Sigma Art DN lenses, tested them, found them to be as sharp as my Nikkors.  Back when I owned Canon cameras Sigma was still known as a low cost, low quality aftermarket supplier.  Over the years Sigma's reputation changed and some of that is due to the quality of the Art DN series.

Now I have a choice between using the old manual focus Nikkors and newer AF capable small lenses.  I find that around town and when I can relax and take my time I like using the Nikkors.  When my wife and I are traveling the Sigma lenses are just about perfect.

Accedemia ~ Florence, Italy 2018

On this end of the long road of experience I find that coupling high quality imaging with a better understanding of how to make a "luminous" black and white image that something startling to me is possible.  When I compare my old 8x10inch film contact prints with a digital print, the digital image in many ways "looks" better.  When I compare a 20x24inch enlarge 4x5 image to a similarly sized digital image I see the very same thing.   The digital image in many ways "looks" better.

While there is so much more I could say about all this (I have obviously skimmed over many important details), the bottom line is: The tiny, very lightweight Sony APS-C mirrorless cameras produce images at least the equal in terms of quality as any high quality large format film camera I ever hauled through the world.

No comments: