Saturday, March 07, 2015

Anatomy of a Phishing Scam

I've been looking for a super zoom for my Sony A6000 and have found an optic that could replace my old Canon 70-200L, 100-400L, and 300-800 Sigmonster.

Last night on Amazon.fr I thought I'd found a good deal.

Tamron Objectif SP xxxx


Prix conseillé : EUR 1 399,00
Prix : EUR 600

First clue there was a problem?  The price.  If it seems too good to be true, then it is too good to be true.

When I tried to put the item into my Panier, this is the message I received.

Message important
Un problème s'est produit en rapport avec les articles de votre commande (voir ci-dessous pour plus d'informations) : Tamron Objectif SP xxxx...
Désolés, cet article ne peut pas être expédié à l'adresse que vous avez sélectionnée. Plus d'informations. Vous pouvez modifier l'adresse de livraison ou supprimer l'article de votre commande. Vous pouvez également voir si l'article est disponible à l'expédition sur votre adresse auprès d'un autre vendeur.

Then there was the request to contact the seller directly, and that was the second problem.

Hello,
The Tamron Objectif SP xxxx is in new condition ( it just had to be listed as 'Used - Like New' ), comes with all manufacturer  supplied accessories, Europe model,comes with 2 Years Europe warranty. It has not been used. The price is €600.00 - free Europe delivery. The shipping will take 1 - 3 days .My return policy is full money back in 30 days.If you really want to buy, send me your phone number, full name, shipping address and I will contact Amazon asap to process your order.
If you have any questions regarding the product,returning or any questions feel free to ask us.

Thanks


Is it any surprise that I then received a request to transfer money directly to the seller?

Thanks for your order. We want you to buy with confidence anytime you purchase products on Amazon.fr.That is why we guarantee purchases from Amazon Marketplace, Auctions, zShops, and Merchant sellers when you use Amazon Payments. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon.fr A-to-z Guarantee...


Payment Details:

Amazon requires the payment for this transaction to be done through Bank Transfer.
You must make the payment via Bank Transfer directly to your seller.
Here is the payment info's:

... The Engraving Gallery
PL02109025900000000129733484
WBKPPLPP
WBK Bank
ul. Rynek 9/11, 50-950,Poland...

To confirm your transfer to Amazon, send us the scanned paper from the Bank: Confirm Payment
  • The Amazon protection programs offer a set of services that build protection into every step of the item buying process. Some of the elements are automatically included when you buy an item covered by the program element (not all elements are available for all products) while some of the elements are available for a small fee. 
  • The funds will not be released under any circumstances! We will keep the payment until you send us your confirmation that you are satisfied to keep the item. As soon as we receive your confirmation we will transfer the funds to the Seller. Until then the Seller won't be able to access the money you sent and in any case you decide not to continue with the deal you will receive a full refund.
  • Note: Amazon.fr is fully responsible for the money once they will be transferred and take the responsibility to refund the full amount if there will be any problems during the deal.
Thanks again for shopping with us.
We hope to see you again soon.

Can you spot the typos?  I thought you could.  Amazon holds funds in escrow and direct transfers between buyer and seller are strongly discouraged.  I hereby declare this a phishing expedition!  This thru Amazon no less.

Postscript - this morning I received the following message.

Hi again,
I was informed by Amazon that they send you all the payment and delivery informations. Search your inbox carefully and also check your bulk/spam/junk folder because it might have arrived there.
Please let me know asap.

Thank you!


Nothing in my spam nor in my inbox?  Color me shocked.  The bastards.

Upon closer inspection, there is a website that is hosted in Germany called media.364.  While the prices look incredible, at least one person has been taken for a ride by those folks.  Here's what I found about them. When I asked them what was going on, I was told

If you really want to buy please acces our website : www.media364.com

Again, you can spot the typos.  No, I really do not want to buy from them.  Would you?


Wine Store Window

No comments: