Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Sony A7 (original) tethered to Linux...

I need to document how I tethered a Sony A7 (original) to my Linux laptop.  It's too easy to forget the details since I don't do this often enough for it to stick in my brain.

Process ~

  1. Install "Entangle" (the software manager for my Linux installation was able to find this quickly and install it easily)
  2. Turn on Sony A7 and menu dive to "USB Connection" and set to "PC Remote"
  3. Connect Sony A7 to the Linux computer using an appropriate USB cable (it's the same one I use to transfer files off the SD card in the camera onto the Linux device)
  4. Start Entangle and verify the camera is connected
  5. Everything should be intuitive afterward.

Details - 

  • Entangle was set to delete images in the camera after they were downloaded. Entangle Settings allowed me to leave the images in both places, computer and camera.
  • Entangle downloads images are saved to home/<login_name>/Pictures/Capture  I need to look at how to change the destination directory.
  • I haven't yet figured out how to get the Live View image to display in Entangle.  Until then, I need to use the LCD or viewfinder to frame the scene, then use Entangle to manage the camera settings and shutter release.

I think there's a way of connecting the output (saved images) from Entangle to Darktable.  Since I don't use Darktable I don't know the details.  I'm still looking at RawTherapee to see if I can connect it to Entangle.  Though it's not really a problem as long as I have RawTherapee up and running I can see the Entangle downloaded images and edit them from the "Capture" directory.

 

la traversee de Paris 2024

No comments: