Sunday, March 11, 2012

Saying good bye...

My wife and I have been visiting our family over the past three weeks. The first came as part of our Visa trip to San Fransisco. The second came as a deliberate trip to the south coast.


Bandon Lighthouse


It feels rather strange to say "good bye". Everyone is very supportive of our move and are quite surprised at how rapidly everything is coming together. It will be around 5 months from the time I was laid off to the time we arrive in our new home, Paris, France. This will have covered everything from healthcare insurance and Cobra costs, to selling the house, downsizing dramatically, selling things we don't need nor want, getting the French Long Stay Visa, to packing and moving.

Yikes! Lots to do.

It's felt like we're running a marathon at a sprinter's pace.

I realize that it's far too early to have any perspective on what we're doing. This, even though people tell us we're their vanguard and that they're very excited to see and witness what might be possible for even themselves.


Petaluma Abstract



To keep myself focused and to form a bridge between this life and the one we are running to, I've been in contact with various people in Paris.

My creative life has included making a lot of photographic images. One of the great joys has been to connect with creative people with whom I can work. They bring their style and talents in exchange for my photography.


Petaluma Textures



Two wonderful connections already made in France. One person is a photo-magazine editor and the other is with a Paris Steampunk group.

It will likely take a few months, if not a year or more, for me to develop any perspective and to lay claim to any lasting judgement about what's happening. For now, it's one foot in front of the other and to keep going...


Napa Prayer Flags

No comments: